A year for the history books
There is always a special kind of energy and excitement on campus at the start of the school year. You can feel it walking across campus and see it on the faces of the new and returning students, faculty and staff. That’s especially true as we start the school year that will lead us into 2024 and Mines 150th anniversary celebrations.
The beginning of the school year is also a good time to reflect on last year’s accomplishments and this year’s goals as we continue to position Mines for even more success and impact in the next 150 years. Some more visible changes you’ll see underway in 2023-24 include:
- Opening of the Beck Venture Center and Labriola Innovation Hub
- Launch of two new undergraduate degree programs in construction engineering and ceramic engineering
- Groundbreaking for the federally funded U.S. Geological Survey/Mines Energy and Minerals Research Facility
- A new free transit service featuring Ore Cart shuttles that connect campus and Golden
- Construction of Mines’ second combined classroom building and parking garage facility
- Upgrades and new additions to Mines Park upperclass and graduate student housing
- Construction of our on-campus early childhood education center
- Celebration of the 20th anniversary of Mines’ Humanitarian Engineering Program, the first curricular program of its kind in the U.S.?
Our alumni have been central to Mines’ successes through the years. From helping build our reputation with industry to leading innovation and progress in those industries, our alumni always have been at the forefront of Mines’ success and where we’re headed. (Check out this issue’s feature story for more on the work Mines and our alumni have been leading with the Fourth Industrial Revolution.)
I hope you’ll continue to be involved and join us in our celebrations starting now and continuing through early 2025. Come back to campus for events or to share your talents and experiences with our students and programs. Check out one of our new professional and graduate degree programs and expand your skills. Meet up with other proud Orediggers in your local area or join one of our strategically focused alumni interest groups.
I look forward to seeing you on campus or at one of your local events. Let’s have a helluva 2023-24 school year and 150th anniversary.
Paul C. Johnson
President and Professor