As you may have already learned, we have filled two important positions that were vacated last year by Anita Pariseau and Serena Bruzgo. The new director of alumni relations is Nancy Blank, who comes to us from Colorado Mountain College with experience in program administration, nonprofit administration and the academic environment. Emily (Milian) Gonzales ’08, CSMAA’s new deputy director, also has
experience managing nonprofit organizations and has renewed many friendships on campus. Both Nancy and Emily have made an immediate impact by coordinating with our campus partners.
Your alumni board is committed to working with the university and the Colorado School of Mines Foundation to advance the institution by expanding our outreach to alumni, fostering new and better events and programs, and targeting recent changes in the demographic profile of Mines alumni. Expansions to the school’s curricula have resulted in growing alumni populations in manufacturing, aerospace and technology, in addition to those in earth sciences worldwide. We will serve all these locations with events and programming designed to provide engagement opportunities that are meaningful to each of you. Our number one goal is to connect alumni with each other and the institution by providing high-quality services, programs and events.
In the months ahead, here are some of the ways we will deliver on that promise:
- Host quality events and networking opportunities such as section gatherings, sendoff parties and E-Days ‘Round the World.
- Contribute to and attend events led by our campus partners that serve alumni and strengthen the Mines community.
- Expand our current 40 active U.S. sections to 51 in 2015 and enhance programming through increased volunteer outreach, support and training.
- Increase publication of the award-winning Mines magazine to four issues per year (print and online), featuring Mines news, events and alumni accomplishments.
- Improve communication with alumni and the campus through better benchmark reporting.
- Recognize alumni accomplishments through valued traditions such as Celebration of Alumni and Alumni Weekend.
- Engage and support students by partnering with the Student Alumni Association and by awarding scholarships.
If you are not already using minesalumni.com, I urge you to explore this website to find old friends, connect with other alumni, view the current board of directors, and contact the alumni office with any questions or comments you may have about the school. You’ll be surprised by what you can learn.
Jim Larsen ’65
President, Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association