On November 12, 2012, the Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association’s ongoing Professional Development Series featured ‘Securing Your Next Move,’ a panel discussion moderated by Cooper Swenson MS ’04. The panel included professional recruiter Dave White ’81 and business executives’ Leslie O’Connor and Becky O’Rourke. About 45 alumni attended the event, and another 40 tuned in to the webcast, posing questions along with the live audience.
Five takeaways from the talk
1. Network: Seventy percent of jobs come through personal contacts. Be strategic about nurturing your personal, professional and Mines connections.
2. Resumes: Every application should include a resume tailored for that specific job and a list of relevant accomplishments.
3. Elevator speech: Be ready to encapsulate, in about 30 seconds, your goals, what you are passionate about, and what you’ve accomplished.
4. Keep perspective: Know where you want to end up in your career, and make sure your next move brings you closer.
5. Keep moving: Nothing will come of nothing. If you are stuck, find help and get moving.