Dent L. Lay ’35 of Boulder City, Nev., died on February 16, 2010. Dent was born in Rocky Ford, Colo., in 1912. He graduated from Mines with a degree in metallurgical engineering. At Mines, Dent was active in sports, earning four letters in basketball and three in football. He was a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon and Theta Tau fraternities, and the National Society of Scabbard & Blade. In 1935, he was honored by his classmates as that year’s “Typical Miner.” Dent was called into service in April 1941 as a first lieutenant with the Army Corp of Engineers. Later he was assigned to the 813th Engineer Aviation, where he attained the rank of lieutenant colonel. After the war, Dent was transferred to the Air Force and sent back to college at Ohio State University, where he obtained a master’s degree in physics in 1951. After a short tour at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and a year attending the Air War College, Dent was assigned to the Armed Forces Special Weapons Project in charge of nuclear weapon effects and received the Legion of Merit for his work. Dent was later chosen as one of two military officers to help start a Department of Defense research program designed in response to the USSR launch of Sputnik. In 1961, he retired from the Air Force with the rank of colonel. For the next 10 years, he worked primarily with Lockheed Aircraft Corp. Before he retired, Dent served as executive director of the San Fernando Valley Child Guidance Clinic, where he worked at the request of a friend to help with the clinic’s financial problems. Dent is survived by his wife, Peggy.